Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Hieroglyphic script

• May 31, 2022 2:42 PM +06

Hieroglyphic script

A special feature is the hieroglyphic script with about 400 characters on mostly square seals made of soapstone. Sir Alexander Cunningham wrote about its discovery in 1875 in the "Archaeological Survey of India Memoirs":

"The strangest object discovered at Harappa is a seal .... The seal is of smooth, black, unpolished stone. A humpless bovine looking to the right, with two stars under its neck, is deeply engraved. Above the bull is an inscription with six characters that are completely unknown to me. They are certainly not Indian characters, and since the bull on the seal does not have a hump, I conclude that the seal is not from India."

Researchers suspect a connection between the symbolism of the Harappa script and early forms of the Dravidian language - can you do my homework . The American researcher Walter A. FairServis Jr. is said to have succeeded in interpreting about a quarter of the characters known so far. However, Kurt Schildmann also claims: "The Indus script has been deciphered!" He claims to have recognised a connection between Sanskrit and Indus script.

The End of Harappa

The end of Harappa: As it came into being, so the city disappeared: without signs of major battles or other catastrophes. One may assume that large areas of the Indus Valley were no longer suitable for the cultivation of agricultural products due to overuse of the soil, and the population therefore moved to other regions. Natural disasters (flooding, silting up of rivers, etc.) are also possible causes for the settlement of the area.